Sunday, January 9, 2011

Out of the mouths of babes....

This is going to be a pretty random post, but I wanted to have a record of some of the funny things I've heard while working with kids. If you know me, you know that I'm a 3rd grade teacher. I absolutely love my job and I'm so glad that each day holds something new. I adore the age I teach (8, 9 & 10 year olds) because they still want to please the teacher, are lovable, have a sense of humor, and aren't too smart-alecky. They say some pretty funny things, too. Here are a few of my favorite:

*names have been changed to protect the innocent ; )

* Sally comes to me one day and tells me that her ear hurts. I ask her if it hurts on the inside or the outside and if she's told her mom about it yet. She tells me "I don't know. It just hurts. Like, it really hurts when I'm using my brain. It's so hard for me to do my work because every time I think, my ear hurts. It's so weird that my brain is making my ear hurt." I smiled at her, looked inside her ear, and told her that she could give her brain/ear a break for a few minutes and then she needed to finish her work.

*One day during bus duty, I had 2 of my boys run up to me and say: "Johnny thinks you're hot!" I smiled and said "oh, what a crazy kid" and begin to walk away, so as to not embarrass Johnny. As I turn away I hear, "yeah, he is crazy because you're really not hot." Ouch.

*I had a student who needed to use the restroom every.single.day. during Social Studies. One day I said "Jack, you always go to the restroom during Social Studies. Please hurry up." He looks at me, grins, and says "Well, what can I say?! I'm pretty regular! I gotta poop after I eat." I no longer questioned his bathroom using for the rest of the year.

*I use a citrus scented air spray in my room sometimes. We refer to it as "Smart Spray" because studies show that citrus smells can trigger memories. Anyway, little Bobby comes up to me and quietly says "Mrs. Walton, will you spray some Smart Spray by my group because I farted and it really stinks." Gotta love honesty!

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting and I'm positive these aren't the last kid-isms I'll ever hear....but it's all I've got for now. Sophie is waking up from her nap and she's been asleep for over 2 hours so I wanna go scoop her up for a bit! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment